Tuesday, September 2, 2008

Get Your (Styrofoam) Peanuts!

You know all those annoying Styrofoam peanuts that get all over the house once you open that package? Gather them up and keep them in a box or plastic bag. Then, whenever you are planting flowers in a pot, stuff the bottom with the peanuts. Then cover with dirt (make sure you include enough dirt to get the plant in deep enough). This not only uses up the peanuts, it creates drainage for the plant in the pot and makes the pot MUCH lighter to carry around your yard or patio (not to mention that's less topsoil to buy!). Now that I regularly do this, I never seem to have enough of those peanuts around. Never thought I'd feel that way...

But to combat that problem, if I have other blocks of Styrofoam around, I'll break them up and use them the same way.

No comments: